Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Oops!

Ok, I apologize. Obviously I didn't stick to my goal of one entry per week - how long ago did I say that? Well sometimes life gets the better of you, and before you know it months have flown by. No excuses, but lets turn the page. Because my best friend Amber is here to teach with me, and suddenly the sun is shining! We have self-titled this next era of our lives as The Adventures of Kate and Amber, so with that, I sure hope I get my butt in gear and keep writing on my blog.

Let me think...

Okay.

I have thought of many things worth posting to my blog - namely pictures which I haven't taken yet. Alright, I'll get those done mom. But slowly I have become exposed to deeper aspects of Korean culture that are difficult to absorb entirely. Here's one. Did you know that child abuse, and to a different extent - spousal abuse, is not exactly shunned here? Teachers and parents both hit the children. The most interesting part of learning this is learning more about my own culture, in America. Once this issue was exposed among the teachers (my coworkers), I spoke about it with several of them. The most disturbing thing was that a few of them admitted to being hit as children, and they thought nothing of it. So really, what it did for me, was reveal just how common child abuse is in America. The difference is it is largely kept a secret there. Here in South Korea, the kids go so far as to joke about it. Funny? Not in my book.

Child abuse in Korea touches on a larger issue of expectations. The children here are in school days and nights six days a week for most of the year (I mentioned this in a previous post). When they finish at their regular day schools, they go to two, maybe three academies. This takes them to maybe one o'clock in the morning, and some of them still have homework to do. In Seoul its even worse; the kids sometimes come home at four AM, once they've finished all their studies. So, you think there are expectations? You betcha, and HIGH ones! My boss is preparing his children for studying in the United States because he believes the pressure here is too much. I ask my kids which ones play sports, and I get almost no response. These children are intelligent, sure, and with enough money from their parents, they can be exposed to all kinds of disciplines outside of school, but do YOU believe that education comes strictly from school? I certainly don't. And when they do have a free moment, know what the kids do? They visit dark PC rooms to play computer games that, for the most part, consist of guns and violence. The suicide rate in South Korea is through the roof.

On a lighter note, the days are getting warmer, and as my dad would point out, longer. I can't wait for beach adventures, as I am not too far away from some nice beaches. I learned recently that before Posco (the world's second largest steel manufacturer) was established in Pohang, the city used to be a resort town. How nice. Unfortunately the closest beach is fairly polluted from the industrial residue. But as long as I have sun, I am happy.

Until next time (who knows when that will be?)... tehe. Seriously, I hope to check in soon. Thanks for being patient. I am truly sorry. Really I am!

Love, Kate

No comments: